Recipe: Cardamom Cherry Pie
This refreshingly fruity and slightly tangy cardamom cherry pie will brighten up your day. Even after a heavy meal you will find enough room for this light and delicious treat, which is why it is ideal as a dessert after Christmas dinner.
Why? It's full of fibre and deliciously warming, digestive spices. The Vata Dosha is calmed and soothed while Kapha and Pitta are strengthened. Therefore if you are the latter Dosha types, you should balance the effects of this dessert with corresponding other foods that soothe Pitta and Kapha (for instance, in the main course).
So pamper your friends and family with this delicious cardamom cherry pie this Christmas season.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 750 g cherries
- 230 g flour
- 225 g ghee
- 125 ml cold water
- 3-4 teaspoons cane sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
Preparing the dough for the pie crust
1. Measure out the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Add ghee to the dry ingredients and mix in gently with your fingertips. Work quickly to form an almost smooth dough.
3. Now slowly add 1/2 cup of very cold water. Carefully work the water into the dough until all of the flour is well incorporated into the dough. Knead a few more times and shape it into a ball.
4. Flatten the dough ball into a circle and wrap it in cling film. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5. Take the dough out of the refrigerator. This recipe is for an open pie and this quantity of dough is enough for the base crust only. If you'd like to make a covered pie, you will need to make double the amount of dough.
Filling & finishing:
1. While the dough is still in the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. If you are using dried cherries, take 1 1/2 cups of dried cherries and 4 cups of water to rehydrate them. If you're using fresh cherries, take 3 cups of cherries and 2 1/2 cups of water. Add the cherries, water, ginger and sugar to a pot. Let the mixture simmer for an hour, then add cardamom and cornstarch. Simmer for another ten minutes or until the mixture thickens.
3. Roll out the dough and press it into the corners of your pie tin. Pre-bake the crust for fifteen minutes or until golden brown. Take it out of the oven and pour the cherry mixture onto the pre-baked crust. The filling will continue to thicken as it cools.
4. Serve hot!
- Warming and relaxing
- Before showering & bathing
- Ideal for stress
500 ml€ 11,83(€ 23,66 / l)5.0 (2)
- Does not contain flavour enhancers
- With crystal salt from the Himalayan foothills
- Delicate, full-bodied taste
300 g€ 7,71(€ 25,70 / kg)5.0 (2)
- Hydrates & conditions
- UV protection
- Prevents premature aging
50 ml€ 8,12(€ 162,40 / l)4.3 (7)
- Gorgeous colors
- With powerful herbs
- Mellow taste
Loose tea, 40 g€ 5,13(€ 128,25 / kg)5.0 (1)
Discover Ayurveda 101 International :
Free delivery in Austria
from € 49,90
More than 7.200 products